Monsoon mini-guide: Part 2
[tweetmeme source=”spkngchic” only_single=false]
After part 1 of our monsoon mini-guide, Speaking Chic readers wrote in asking for more monsoon makeup and accessory tips. So here we go:
- Rule of thumb: Monsoon means minimum makeup. You don’t want your pancake getting washed away on your way to a meeting. So avoid the base if you can, and keep it basic.
- Highlight your eyes with a white eyeshadow (very, very little) or one that is a shade lighter than your skin tone. You can dab some of it on your undereye circles if you don’t use a concealer.
- Use waterproof mascara. Try Maybelline or MAC—they really are water-resistant.
- For lips, use a gloss that stays long, like Lancome Juicy Tubes. For an evening out, use a darker colour of gloss. And how about giving nude lipstick a shot?
- An alternate evening look: nude look but with eye-catching lip colour (dare to use the red!).
- If there’s one trend you don’t want to miss this season, it’s the pop colour everywhere, especially the nails! Try out pinks, purples and even blues! Yum!
- We can’t say this enough—anti-frizz is a must! Try L’Oreal’s anti-frizz shampoo and conditioner, or hunt for serums at your favourite imported goods store. If it suits your budget, ask for Kerastase Oleo Relax Anti-Frizz Serum (available at B:blunt and other salons).
- On the days you don’t want to tame your mane, ditch the serum and let your hair behave the way it wants. After all, uncombed hair looks great this season, so if you’ve got a natural wave or loose curls in humid weather, use a dot of gel to take it a notch ahead.
- For formal looks, try casual updos, for a more formal look. A few loose strands, a cute hair accessory like studded hair clips, and you’re all set.
- If you’re having a hair cut this season, don’t go too short, or your mane won’t be long enough to for the upcoming festive season.
- Believe it or yawn, chunky is still in. Hunt for great bargains for chunky wooden/ lac bangles at local markets. These won’t strain your budget and will last the season.
- For a more sophisticated look, slip on an oversized ring. Guaranteed to draw attention to your bright nails. We like Aldo Accessories, trendy and complete VFM.
- If you haven’t caught on to the chain reaction, now is the time. Multiple chains with charms and small crystals smarten up any outfit. BTW, all moms have long gold chains, so make sure your borrow those!
What do you think of our mini-guide? Share your suggestions and tips in the comments box, or write to us at speakingchic [at] gmail [dot] com.